Saturday, July 3, 2010

Take a break.

Why is it that we have to go away on a 'vacation' to take a break? Why does it take a week to decompress and brain dump just to finally get to that relaxation point, and only a day to fill it back up with the worries of daily life? Why do we succumb to the 'rat race', pushing ourselves until we become burnt out or ill?
I grew up, especially in my college years, hearing my father say, "Stacey, stop and smell the roses." He is such a laid back man, easy going, I don't recall hearing anger or yelling often from this man. If my dad was upset, it came out even keeled and in a direct tone, I always knew I was in trouble when I heard that particular voice. I spent my college years and late 20's in the idea of keeping up with the Jones', get ahead now and maybe play later attitude. I had the world by the tail, nice house, 3 beautiful children, a good job, and a marriage that looked good on the outside, and thousands of dollars in debt. I am an overachiever, anyone in my family will tell you that statement is true. But, whom was I fooling? My cup was empty.
It wasn't until I decided to leave my job as an assistant manager at a big box retailer, making $57,000, a year to go back to teaching that I realized the importance of 'stopping to smell the roses'. I still think that even then I didn't quite get it, but was on the right track nonetheless. I was a single mom at the time, took a huge paycut to go back to teaching. I was happier, getting to spend more time with my kiddos, enjoying breaks and summer vacations. I got to play again. After all, who wants to be 60 and all grown up with that little kiddo boxed up somewhere in storage?
Since I left my 9-5 job, rather it left me, I am realizing even more opportunity to 'stop and smell the roses'. Seizing opportunities to relive some fantastic childhood memories and the amazingly, overwhelming playground in my backyard we call The Rockies. I am playing hard enjoying a relaxing stay at a lakeside motel, experiencing the energy, anticipation, and excitement of a sleepy lake town coming alive to celebrate our nation's birthday. Hoping some kind stranger will offer a circle or two around the lake on water skis. For the first time, in a long time, I finished a book, read a magazine or two, did a little bargain shopping, dipped my toes in the icy lake after a long hike to see some epic water falls in the backwoods. I actually sat for day, exceeded my sun limit, listened to the water slap against the shore, and the hum of boats moving up and down the lake. Ahhhhh, that is enough to lull you into a nap in miliseconds! I must say that taking a break with nowhere to be and nothing to do does a body good. I think it can be done even at home...you can even label it with the newest term of our economic times, 'staycation'. Lock your doors, turn of your phone, forget the laundry and house chores, pick up a good book from your local library. Reconnect with old friends, put together a scrapbook, stay in your jammies all day long. What are the desires of your heart when it comes to taking a break? What did you wish the last time you said, "When I have a day off, I will..."? What are you waiting for? Seize the moment, seize the day! Can I let you in on a little secret? Your laundry will be there tomorrow, so will the dusting, vacuuming, and dirty toilets. Guess what? They don't care!
Please, I urge you, to take a break. Ladies if that means time for yourself, do it, please. It will help you to be a better wife, mom, woman. Guys, you too. Parents, make a date night and stick to it, but be sure to keep with the rule, "you are not allowed to talk about your kids". What is your passion, what are the desires of your heart screaming for?/
Fill in the blank, if I had the time, I would... Go, take the time, do it. Finally, at this moment, is your glass half empty, or half full? Do you need a break?
Believe in yourself, Be Extraordinary, Dream Big....

Stacey

4 comments:

  1. Hi Stacey! Thank you for giving me somethings to think about!

    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always! Would love to hear your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are an overachiever? Who knew? Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know right Josh? Where did that trait come from?

    ReplyDelete